Attention All Classmates, Attention All Classmates:
Our 30th class reunion is in 7 and a butt days. The entire reunion committee is excited to see everyone, swap stories, share adventures, roam the Plain and quaff beverages.
This email is intended to provide answers to many of the questions received since the close of registration. While lengthy, it addresses information relevant to anyone attending the reunion.
Please check the reunion website frequently for updates. Some of this information is taken directly from USMA guidance, so if it sounds like it is from an official OPORD, it is.
If your question is not answered, try Googling it.
SECURITY PROCEDURES AND ENTRANCE ON TO WEST POINT:
We can now get an alumni ID badge that will allow you to go straight to the Thayer gate without having to stop at the security office.
You can request a “Grad Pass” in advance of the reunion by completing and submitting an WPAOG’s website. Doing so will enable the post security team to conduct a mandatory background check and have your pass available for pick-up upon your arrival.
To sign up, please follow this link https://www.westpointaog.org/gradpass and then read the directions on the page as to which forms require completion. It takes about 2 minutes to complete the form.
If one does not have a grad pass or a DOD identification the following applies:
- Effective 7 June 2016, all visitors to West Point must have a Department of Defense (DoD) identification card or they must be escorted by someone with a DoD identification card.
- If you do not have a DoD identification card, report to the Visitor Control Center located outside Thayer Gate in the Visitors Center. Hours of operation are 0600-1800, Monday-Friday.
- When the Visitor Control Center is closed, visitors will be directed by electronic signs to proceed to the entrance gates.
- For more information, visit the West Point Garrison webpage https://www.westpoint.army.mil/visitus.html
- All Graduates and their guests must wear their reunion name tag at all times in the Cadet Area.
TRANSPORTATION AND PARKING:
Given the extremely limited parking at West Point in general and particularly on football game days, we recommend you arrive early and with lots of patience.
Most of the parking spaces on the level of the Plain and near Eisenhower Hall require a parking pass issued only to USMA Staff and Faculty. Public spaces are on a first come first serve basis. MPs are known to ticket violators quickly.
Parking is unrestricted in Buffalo Soldier Lot, Subway Lot (old PX by the cemetery), South Dock and the River Courts.
After 4pm on weekdays, Thayer Roof, Clinton Lot (next to tennis courts/baseball field) and Thayer Road are open.
Recommendations for parking by day and event are:
- Thursday: Park at the Golf Course (for those playing or riding) and Buffalo Soldier Field for the evening reception.
- Friday day time events (Memorial Service, Lunch, State of the Academy and Class Meeting): Park at Buffalo Soldiers Field and walk to events or take the post bus. A second option is to park at the old PX ( when we were cadets this was near the cemetery.) This location now includes a Subway, Starbucks and MWR Gym. However, there is no post shuttle bus from this location. The third option is the River Courts, if you missed your morning workout, you can run up the stairs.
- Friday dinner: Park on Thayer Roof or at Daley Field
- Saturday Game Day and Tailgates: For all those without Game Day Parking Passes, you must pay for general parking ($20.00 per car, cash only) through Washington Gate. Access through Thayer Gate is available, but is congested. Again, a $20.00 cash only fee is required on game day.
This is a link to what I located about Game Day parking. https://armyfootballgameday.com/parking/
There are post buses from each public lot on game day, but they are slow and crowded. The buses run to the level of the Plain and parade field, and then to Michie Stadium. Walking may be a quicker option.
A shuttle bus operates from Buffalo Soldier Parking to Clinton Field Parking.
Shuttle service is free to everyone on or visiting West Point. This includes but is not limited to Soldiers, Cadets, employees, contractors and visitors. While this service is available to all, priority will be given to official business passengers. The shuttle is available between the hours of 0700 and 1800 Monday through Friday except federal holidays. The shuttle arrives and departs from its seven different locations approximately every 15 minutes and the last shuttle departs from the Library Corner at 1800 hours. Route map attached.
More information is available at https://www.westpoint.army.mil/shuttle.html
Most of the facilities on West Point are handicap accessible and there is handicap parking at all locations.
- Home Football Games – There is a handicap shuttle bus service on game day.
- Wheelchairs – Graduates and their guests are responsible to provide their own wheelchair.
DAA has two wheelchairs available for emergency situations.
REUNION EVENT TICKETS:
Please print your tickets or have them available on your cell phone through the Eventbrite.com app. This requires downloading the app and logging in prior to arriving at your first event.
Please pick up your registration souvenirs at the first event in which you are attending. Souvenirs include a nametag and lanyard (for graduates and registered guests), a baseball cap and a travel mug for the graduate.
Approximately 15-20% of classmates will not receive their Tervis Mugs at the reunion, and instead will receive them at their home address in mid-October. We will base this on a ‘First Come-First Served’ basis (e.g. the last 15-20% of classmates that registered to attend will not receive their mugs at the reunion). In advance, we apologize for this inconvenience. The Tervis Corporation is located in southern Florida, and Hurricane Irma impacted their production schedule.
AREAS OPEN TO GRADUATES AND GUESTS:
The only areas open to Graduates and guests within the Cadet Area are:
- Arvin Cadet Physical Development Center
- Cadet Store
- Cullum Hall
- Grant Hall
- Jefferson Hall
- West Point Club
The Cadet Barracks, Cadet Mess, Academic Buildings, and Flirtation Walk are not open for tours. Please respect this and consider how you would feel if some stranger walked into your college student’s dorm room.
Please know that I am working to see we can gain some access to Davis Barracks, the newly dedicated barracks. It is located at the site of the old Boodlers.
Please arrive at the West Point Golf Course NLT 0930 for a 1000 shotgun start to the tournament. Brian Farlow is working on the golf foursomes and will post on the class website when available.
I am in the process of identifying a location to shower and change clothing after the golf outing for those attending the Welcome Back Reception and not lodging on post.
THURSDAY WELCOME BACK RECEPTION:
The cocktail party is from 1800 -2100 hours at the Thayer Hotel. This event includes appetizers and open bar. MG (ret) Peter J. Boylan ’61 will share his reflections on the Class of 1987. The suggested dress for this event is business casual. You are welcome to dress as you feel comfortable, but please note this is not a bbq. Recommended parking is Buffalo Solider Field.
Is at 1000 at the Catholic Chapel and we will be honoring our deceased classmates. Recommended parking is Buffalo Soldiers Field or the Old PX.
This lunch is in the Haig Room on the top floor of Jefferson Hall (the new library). Recommended dress is casual. Recommended parking is Buffalo Soldiers Field or the Old PX.
ACADEMY AND WPAOG BRIEFING:
The briefing is Ike Hall Theatre on Friday from 1330-1500. Recommended parking is Buffalo Soldiers Field or the Old PX.
This meeting is in Ike Hall in the Class of 1963 lounge on the 3rd Floor from 1515-1600. Recommended dress is casual. Recommended parking is Buffalo Soldiers Field or the Old PX.
FRIDAY CLASS DINNER AT THE WEST POINT CLUB:
This dinner begins promptly at 1800 hours. Seating is open and we ask that the ballroom on the main level be filled first. As we have nearly 650 attending this event, we will be occupying all three floors of the WP Club.
Please pick up your envelope with your menu selections upon your arrival and put it at your table and seat.
Parking is on Thayer Roof or at Daley Field.
The suggested dress for this event is business or formal. Please wear what makes you feel comfortable and looking marvelous. Some will be in tuxedos and gowns, others are likely to wear suits, cocktail dresses, and still others will be more casual.
ALUMNI REVIEW AND PARADE:
Please meet for the Alumni Review and Parade NLT 1200 behind Section A of the Bleachers, closest to Doubleday Baseball field. Please note this is a new meeting location from previous years. DAA and the Class Aides will guide the classes onto the parade field in columns of four.
Suggested attire for Graduates:
1) Military – ASU A IAW AR 670-1.
2) All Others – Business casual. Dress pants, collared shirt, and jacket for men; equivalent dress for women. No jeans of any kind or color are allowed.
3) On football weekends, graduates typically change into “spirit” attire after the review. Classes eating in the Cadet Mess, can use the locker rooms for the mess hall wait staff located in the basement under the Poop Deck.
Weather Decision – Is usually made three (3) hours prior to the review. DAA will inform the Class Aides of the weather decision. If the review is cancelled, classes are encouraged to stay at their reunion hotel until their next event at West Point.
All other Reunions –
During the review, graduates are on the reviewing line next to their class guidon. Only graduates and ex Cadets are authorized on the Plain.
Graduates are not allowed to carry a Class Flag, Guidon, or Banner on the Plain. The only authorized flags are the Colors, the Official Reviewing Party, and the Cadet Company Guidons.
Veterans, retirees, and active-duty military not in uniform can render a military-style hand salute during the playing of the national anthem, and during the raising, lowering or passing of the National flag.
Spouses and Guests – will sit in a reserved section of the bleachers behind the graduates. There are no tickets for the Cadet Review. Guest of the Class of 1987 will sit in sections B and C.
It is recommended graduates standing on the parade field bring a bottle of water, not lock their knees or visualize concentric circles.
Graduates who cannot stand or walk for long periods are encouraged to use a wheelchair or sit in the bleachers with their spouse/guests. The Cadet Review is normally 50 minutes.
BREAKFAST AND LUNCH TAILGATES at TROPHY POINT:
If you have registered for either or both tailgates, please ensure that you pick up a wristband for each of the tailgates when you pick up your reunion souvenirs. Please come hungry and thirsty.
CADET MESS HALL LUNCH:
Class of 1972 will eat in the mural wind and Class of 1987 will eat in the wing closest to north area. Classes are assigned a group of tables, twelve (12) people per table. The tables were changed a few years ago from 10 seats to 12 seats per table to accommodate the closing of the wing behind the Poop Deck for the serving lines.
The menu is Manhattan Clam Chowder, Crackers, Turkey Burger, Lettuce, Tomato, Cheese Slice, Roast Corn, Baked French Fries, Round Bun, Tossed Salad w Dressing, Black Bean Brownies.
Each attendee is responsible for purchasing tickets directly through the Army Athletic Ticket Office. If you purchased them online, be sure to print the tickets to gain access to Michie Stadium.
- All classes will walk or use the football shuttle buses to Michie Stadium.
- Everyone who drives a POV to West Point on game day must have a football parking pass or pay $20.00 cash to park in public parking. Purchase parking passes before the game from the Army Ticket Office or on game day once you enter the gate.
- Umbrellas and bags (except purses and diaper bags) are not allowed in Michie Stadium. For more information please check the Army Football Guest Services Guide posted on the web, www.goarmywestpoint.com
This covers nearly everything we have brainstormed and have been asked to date. Again, please check the website for updates. We are looking forward to a most memorable weekend.
Go Army and Our Country We Strengthen,